Our Mission

We, the members of Trinity congregation, create a welcoming environment to celebrate our unity in Christ. We provide spiritual and educational opportunities for all. We reach out to care for and meet the pastoral needs of others. We support each other to weave our faith into our daily lives and work together to make a difference in the name of Christ.

Trinity Episcopal Church EST. 1747

Trinity Church was founded in 1747 making it one of the oldest parishes in the Diocese of Massachusetts. The church, located in Bridgewater, serves all the surrounding communities. The Trinity parish family is a diverse group covering a wide range of ages and interests. The common bond that keeps the parish together is the dedication each member feels toward serving God, fellow parishioners, and community through worship services and other activities.


Historical Highlights of Trinity

The history of Trinity Church is long and includes periods of growth and harmony as well as discord and near disaster.

The first church was established in 1748 in the vicinity of what is now 529 Main Street, through the efforts of Samuel Edson who donated 14 acres of land to the English “Society of Propagation of the Faith in Foreign Parts.” The first church was begun in 1748. Occasional services were held by the clergy who ministered to several area churches.

History of the Present Day Church Structure

The architect for the present church was Stephan Earle of Worcester. The style is similar to English country churches and the angled bell tower is an unusual feature. The church of 1836 was dismantled and its components including the foundation stones, doorsteps, lumber, and bell were incorporated into the present building. The cornerstone which is in the northeast corner contains a pipe with pictures of the first two churches, a history, and a Diocesan newsletter.

The church was consecrated on Tuesday September 23, 1884 by the Right Reverend Benjamin Paddock with 19 area clergy in attendance. The choir was made up of volunteers from the Orthodox, Swedenborgian, and Unitarian choirs as well as our own parishioners. Although the day was chilly and rainy the church was filled with well wishers and parishioners. A social hour and luncheon was held at the home of Reverend Milton Peck, 13 Summer Street, following the service.

Church Building and Material Costs in 1884

Trinity Episcopal Church Timeline




The Reverend Wheeler served the areas of Taunton, Marshfield, Scituate, and Bridgewater. He kept the records when he left the area.


The “glebe” land was rented out and the annual Easter meeting was held but there were no services and no records exist.


The church was incorporated as Trinity Church with the Protestant Episcopal Church, Diocese of Massachusetts.


Reverend Montague served. Records were kept.


Wardens authorized the transfer of “glebe lands” to trustees of donations. Annuity was to be given to the parish.


The act of incorporation was performed. Regular officers were chosen. The church was repaired.


John Edson paid off the debt balance. Bishop Griswald consecrated the church.


Trinity Church parish family currently had 30 families. (?)16 communicants irregular services by lay readers and traveling clergy.


Reverend Mathias Munro served and was the first settled clergyman. He is buried in the old Episcopal cemetery on Main Street.


Reverend William Warland is called to Trinity Church. The old church is sold for $220. The cornerstone of new (2nd) Trinity Church is laid in the area of 507 Main Street on the opposite side of the burying ground. Reverend Warland was a controversial figure and did not get along with the Wardens, who were members of the Edson family.


Reverend Henry Blackaller called to Trinity Church for a salary of $500/year. The first mention of church school was found in records.


The church bell was cast in East Medway.


Reverend Henry Blackaller resigned as parish was not able to pay him.


Reverend Newton Marble also resigned due to lack of funding.


Wardens voted to close church to any ministrations of Reverend William Warland. The church was to be used only by the discretion of the wardens.


Reverend Jonathan Coe called. The church opened up to his use and the use of any clergy other than Reverend William Warland. There are two printed pamphlets, one written by Reverend Warland and the other by John Edson both to the attention of the bishop. The Reverend Warland pamphlet and John Edson pamphlet clarify the situation somewhat.


There was great controversy over who was the actual rector and whether Trinity Church is a Parish or Mission.


John Edson died in the fall of this year but the problems continued.


Reverend William Warland returned as rector at a yearly salary of $1000 and remained until 1870.


Reverend B. R. Gifford served.


Reverend Joseph Jenks served.


Bishop Paddock closes church to all services. The town hall was to be used until a new church could be built.
Reverend Milton Peck becomes rector. Land at the corner of Main Street and Pearl Street was purchased from a Revere family for $1250. In this year ground was broken for the new church and an architect was acquired.


The new church was consecrated by Bishop Paddock.


Reverend Langdon Ward served.


Reverend J. J. Cressey served.


Reverend Frederick Edwards. Trinity church rectory was built. Mission started in East Bridgewater.


Reverend S. S. Marquis served.


Reverend George Smythe served and later resigned to become a professor at Kenyon College.


Reverend J. R. Jenkins served.


Electric lights and wiring for 10 fixtures were priced at $112.50.


Reverend J. R. Jenkins left Trinity Church to become a missionary out west.


Reverend W. R. Scarritt served. Plans for the vested choir were discussed.


Reverend J. Eames served.


Electric lights installed in chancel.


Reverend Eames requested 50 cents/week pay increase.


50 prayer books and 50 hymnals were ordered for $22.50. The Williams tracker action pipe organ was installed. The organ was hand pumped.


Reverend Eames resigned to serve at a parish in Fall River. One hundred communicants were added to the rolls during his 9 years of service.
Electric lights were installed in the church rectory.


Reverend J. A. Thompson joined Trinity as rector. The present organ was given by the McNeeland family. Battleship linoleum was installed in the church.


The women of Trinity church had saved up almost $2000 in the parish house fund. There was the first mention of the Service of Lights.


The parish hall construction was started. The first ever meeting in Guild room was attended.


The parish hall was completed. The final cost was $2900. The 175th Anniversary Banquet was held in the hall.


Continuous problems with water in the lower hall occurred.


Revered Kearons joined Trinity as rector.


The pulpit was lowered.


The church fair was not held this year.


Reverend Kearons left Trinity. The Board of Health complains of the lack of a town sewer connection for the rectory. Vestry agrees to pay $2000 for a rector “if we have to”.


Reverend George Chiera is called. The mortgage on the parish hall was paid off and the downstairs dining hall was ready for use.


The first mention of ecumenical, 3 hour Good Friday service was recorded. The McNeeland host a garden party as a fund raiser where 16 tables of bridge, candy, and plants were sold.


The vestry complains to the selectmen of the noise caused by the “deplorable conditions of Main Street”.


White china was purchased


Reverend David Hunter is called to serve as rector.


77 Hymnals were purchased for $100. The men painted the church. The chancel was carpeted.


Reverend H. E. Goll was called to serve as rector. The Steeple cross was made and erected.


Reverend George Keirstead was called to serve as rector. Reverend Keirstead and Reverend Gall were ordained while serving here. Reverend Goll was married at Trinity Church.
The honor role was dedicated.


The Southeastern District Conference was held at Trinity Church. Lunch was served to 125 people.


Reverend Barrow resigned and was designated Rector Emeritus. He continued as supply for many years and is fondly remembered.


Trinity was close to the point of closing the church if a rector could not be found. Reverend Clinton Blake came to the rescue. During his years of service many improvements were made. The altar step was extended and new kneelers were installed. The font was piped and the chancel and sanctuary were carpeted.


Reverend Norman Brady was called to serve. He used incense on occasion much to the distress of some parishioners.


Reverend Freedom Wentworth was called to serve. Many longtime parishioners left Trinity Church as the emphasis of parish life had changed drastically.


Reverend Freedom Wentworth started a seminary in the old rectory and purchased a new house on Summer Street. He began ordaining his own clergy and began investigating the possibility of joining with marginal orthodox groups.


A majority of the people attending Trinity Church voted to leave the Episcopal Church. A group of people, some of the former members of Trinity, some new, with the help of Bishop Coburn, began meeting in the Congregational church, later moving to the Methodist Church. The Reverend Mark Dyer, then became Bishop of Pennsylvania, ministered to the small group. The Reverend Louis Pitt was sent to be the Priest in charge. The congregation grew and flourished under his care.


Reverend Wentworth was ordained a Bishop in an obscure branch of orthodoxy under what was proved later to be fraudulent circumstances. This caused a rift in the group that originally left Trinity Church and Wentworth was forced to create his own denomination. He met with a remnant group in his house which he called a cathedral. He died suddenly not long after.
Reverend Kenneth Ornell called as half-time rector shared with St. John’s of Sharon in a yoked ministry.


The Trinity Church building use was regained and shared with the remnant of the Wentworth group.


The other group left. The church was insulated and re-roofed. The roof crosses were replaced. Reverend Ornell left Trinity Church for a parish in Pennsylvania. Reverend Bruce Moncrieff was called to be interim. Services were also conducted by Reverend Robert Merry and Reverend Crawford Coombes.


Reverend William R. Krogstand was called to serve as rector. The rectory was sold.


The parish celebrated the 100th anniversary of the church building and 200th anniversary of the Diocese of Massachusetts.


The church interior was refurbished. The linoleum of 1918 was replaced with modern plastic tile. Carpets were placed done the center aisles. Hardwood flooring was installed in the chancel and choir. Hardwood flooring extended to the altar step and an oriental runner was added. The interior was painted. And the entrances were carpeted with cocoa matting.


A stage was partitioned and carpeted for use as a nursery. A new gas furnace was purchased for the parish hall with 4-zone heating. Smoke, fire and motion detector alarms were installed in the church. Light fixtures with fans were added to the parish hall.


The parish hall was re-roofed and insulated. The lower hall ceiling was replaced. The final phase of the stained glass window was installed. The entire complement of stained glass windows are memorials to past and present parish families.


The Pearl Street door was replaced. Three huge spruce trees were removed.


Reverend Krogstad retired. The parish was served by Reverend John Keggi and Reverend John Conn as interim's.

Paula Crocker becomes Trinity's organist and music director.


Reverend E. Bradlee Hultman became rector of Trinity with the prospect of renewal and growth into the 21st century.


In 1999 Christopher Duerden took on the project in the church cemetery of cleaning/clearing up a family plot area. This was done as his service project while working toward his Eagle Scout Badge.


Rev. E. Bradlee Hultman leaves to take a full time position at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, Hanover, MA. Brad’s last service at Trinity was July 30. Rev. Patricia R. Colenback becomes interim pastor from Sept. 3 – Oct. 15. Rev. William D. Underhill becomes interim pastor from Oct. 22 – Apr. 14, 2002.


Rev. Nathaniel S. T. Reece becomes the 35th Rector. He presides over his first service on April 21 and the official installation ceremony is on Sept. 26. With the completion of the rebuilding of the yoke, the bell is now in working order and was rededicated on September 15, 2002. With the completion of repairs and renovations to the “Rose” window at the back of the church, there was a rededication ceremony on September 22, 2002.


The handicap bathroom was completed in 2004. A handicap ramp was constructed and Bishop Gayle Harris led a dedication ceremony on October 12, 2004.


The church organ, which dates back to 1918, underwent stage 1 of a 3-stage project. This phase entailed replacing, installing, rebuilding, renovating, and refinishing many parts of the organ. This work was done in the summer of 2005. A new church roof was put on in September of 2005. In the summer of 2005, Boy Scout Keith Stetson, worked along side Tom Dunlevy in the church cemetery in hopes of achieving the rank of Star.



The “dog house” was torn down in 2005 and was replaced with a new “bulkhead” in the fall of 2006. In the fall of 2006, Edward Bajercius, completed this project, in hopes of achieving his Eagle Scout Badge.

The work done was using an area of land to create a memorial garden with a bench and placing a plaque in memory of Tom Dunlevy, a faithful caregiver to the Trinity Cemetery. On November 19, 2006, a plaque in memory of Tom Dunlevy was dedicated at the church cemetery on Main Street, Bridgewater.



Rev. Nathaniel S. T. Reece retires and Rev. Bailey O. Whitbeck is called to serve as Interim Priest in Charge.

The Sunday School children raised over $600 with youth offering envelopes to which they chose to sponsor Marvin, a child from el Hogar in Honduras, and donate remaining monies to various local charities. They continue this tradition each year.

Trinity’s Mission and Outreach reached beyond assisting local charities such as Habitat for Humanity, St Paul’s table, and the Montello House to help National charities as well by adopting The Church of the Redeemer in Biloxi, MS as a sister parish.

Trinity’s presence on the web kicked off with the design of a new web site in order to be more user friendly and attract potential new parishioners as well as allowing current parishioners to be kept up to date on happenings in the community.





The Vestry embarked in a search for a new Priest-in-Charge. A profile was created followed by interviews and a selection process. In June, Bailey O. Whitbeck retired and Rev. Natasha Stewart was called to serve.

During difficult economic times, Trinity was able to overcome these hardships with an increase in pledging which resulted in a matching grant from the Diocese.

Trinity’s Mission and Outreach decided to assist charities on a global level; $500 was donated to Nothing but Nets to support the Malaria crisis.

2008 was a big year for renovations to the Church in an effort to conserve resources and by going “Green”.

Basement windows were sealed and moldy plaster replaced in the basement making it waterproof

  • New locks were installed and the security system updated
  • Seven older windows were replaced with modern energy efficient ones
  • Energy efficient light bulbs replaced existing bulbs
  • Ceiling fans were installed in the main Church area to keep the heat circulating down in Winter and to provide cool air in the Summer.

The Trinity website is now fully operational as a tool for communication and useful information.


Andrew Bajercius updated the landscaping outside of Trinity Church as part of obtaining his Eagle Scout. Andrew removed some older shrubs and replaced them with more colorful rhododendrons, as well as planting some perennial and annual flowers in the flower bed near the handicap ramp.


A Discernment Committee was formed and recommended that a parishioner, Scott Ciosek be granted Postulancy to become an ordained Episcopal Priest.

The Stewardship Committee hosted its first ever Time and Talent Show. Parishioners were invited to perform and showcase their talents.

Trinity entered into the world of Social Media, establishing both Facebook and Twitter pages. These are used as outreach tools to the Parish and greater Bridgewater community.

St Nicholas came to Trinity to tell his tale of generosity of self to all the children of Trinity.

For the 2010 Christmas Eve service, 140 parishioners celebrated the coming of Christ, which made that Christmas, the largest Christmas service on record for Trinity.

Throughout 2010, the Vestry spent significant time developing the parish goals of Sustainability, Outreach and Collaboration to keep the parish healthy.


The parishioners of Trinity asked the Reverend Natasha Stewart to become the 36th Rector of Trinity Episcopal Church and on 1/11/11 Natasha answered this call with joy and excitement. The celebration was presided by Bishop Bud Cederholm. Natasha is also the first woman rector in the long history of Trinity Episcopal Church.

The Slava Chorale performed a concert at Trinity. The Slava Chorale is a Boston-based singing group that specializes in Russian and Slavonic music, from chant and Russian Orthodox sacred music to folk styles as well. You can view more information about them on their website: http://theslavachorale.yolasite.com/


Trinity embarked on a major renovation to its historic Williams mechanical action organ. Andover Organ Company removed the organ in June and reinstalled it late October. Worn parts were replaces, some with modern materials. The windchests received an overhaul with new solid tables to prevent both air leakage and the pipes from easily going out of tune. The work will ensure the long-tern health of our organ for future generations.

The Vestry purchased a modern storage shed for the cemetery, providing for more storage for the upkeep of this asset.

A sewer line was replaced at a cost of $5,300.

A water backup occurred downstairs and flooded the kitchen and the downstairs bathroom. Damage estimates were high and require a complete teardown and rebuild of the kitchen, as well as all the walls and floors in the Sunday School classrooms. Demolition began in January 2013 and will continue throughout the year.


At the 2013 Annual Meeting, The Rev. Natasha Stewart officially announced the inauguration of a Capital Campaign “Living Our Legacy” to raise the funds necessary to help us address some much needed updates and repairs to the exterior and interior of the church.

After consultation with our Vestry, the Parish will be moving forward with a capital campaign with a goal of raising a minimum of $250,000 in pledges over a period of three years. As of December 2013, 49 households pledged $281,980 and of that amount $192,216 has been received to date.

In the summer French drains were installed in the basement to eliminate flooding.

The driveway was repaved between the church and bank parking in the summer.

Due to the growing number of children attending Trinity, we added a 4th Sunday School Class. We now offer Godly Play (Age 4-2nd grade), Tweeners (grades 3-6), Rite 13 (grades 6-7), and J2A (Journey to Adulthood) (grades 6-12).

Trinity agreed to be a part of the Hartford Seminary Study on Church Growth. The study will help us better understand our strengths and how to build upon them.

In order for Trinity to provide more outreach, the Diocese assigned Deacon Matthew Johnson into our church family on All Saints Day.

Parishioner Chris Allard painted the Noah’s Arc mural on the wall in the Nursery pro bono.

With construction ongoing downstairs, the annual Fall Fair was held outside with great success!


February 2 - Deacon Matthew Johnson is officially ordained during an installation at Trinity.

The Trinity Youth Group sponsored the first pancake supper to mark the beginning of Lent.


ESC consultants Skip Hamill and Drew Stanair presented the results of their parishioner interviews to the Vestry. The Vestry decided to do some preliminary work on the Strategic Plan while Rev. Natasha is on sabbatical.

Rev Billie Gordan became Trinity’s supply priest from June–September while Rev. Natasha was on sabbatical.

Trinity signs contract with Schaefer Construction Company to begin the restoration for the exterior of the church. This included:

  • the re-roofing of Edson Hall and demolition of the brick chimney on the parking lot side of the building
  • removing the old cedar siding, shingles, and trim and replacing them with new red cedar clapboards, shingles, and trim pieces
  • install new exterior doors doors
  • painting of the entire church property.

Windows in the sacristy, organ pump room, and robing room have been removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled from the stain glass restorer.

Construction on the “cupola/doghouse” that protects the three antique stain glass windows above the alter began.

The contractor commented in how the original wall board material under the clapboards was still in excellent condition after 125 years and did not have to be replaced.

The Trinity J2A Youth group embark in a pilgrimage to England. Sites include sacred and holy places York, Canterbury, and London. This is the first youth group to embark on such a journey. All funds were raised through fundraising and generous donations from parishioners.

Rev. Natasha returns from sabbatical and is welcomed back with a brunch in her honor after the 10AM service.

Vestry votes to become a sister church to All Saint's Pavement in York, England. This was one of the destinations of the youth group while on their pilgrimage. All Saint's Pavement website can be found here.

Anonymous donors provided funds to re-carpet the entire inside of the church.

On October 24, Bishop Alan Gates came to Trinity to officiate the ceremony on consecrating our newly refurbished church and to bless the doors.

In December, the Living Our Legacy outside restoration project is officially substantially completed. All that remains are a few punch list items.


At the annual meeting it was explained that the Finance Committee was formed 20 years ago to encourage lifetime gifts to Trinity Church by instilling confidence that such gifts would be prudently managed over time. With the introduction of auditing standards from the Diocese and Trinity’s conversion of all financial transactions to QuickBooks, the issues/concerns related to financial oversight that the Finance Committee was formed to monitor have been addressed. Therefore, the Finance Committee role is no longer needed and the Finance Committee will be disbanded as of today’s meeting.

Trinity hosted breakfast for the One Family ministry at All Saint's Episcopal Church in Attleboro. One Family is a monthly program of breakfast and fellowship for low-income families. 

In June Deacon candidate Kris Holmes was ordained at a ceremony at the cathedral in Boston. Trinity celebrated her ordination as Deacon in September. Deacon Kris

Trinity's Parish-Wide yard sale raised over $1800, closing a deficit gap.

Parishioners donated funds to replace the carpet in the Vestibule, Nave and Sanctuary. 

To increase our visibility in the Bridgewater community, Trinity joined the Bridgewater Business Association, had a booth at both Autumnfest and Christmas on the Common, and the Vestry hosted a barbecue dinner at Music Alley

The Living Our Legacy restoration project has been officially completed in June.

The ten-year organ restoration project was completed and celebrated with an organ recital that included three guest organist.

Parishioner and master cabinet maker and craftsman, Dan Taccini, hand built a new altar for the parish, allowing for more room. Bishop Bud Cederholm oversaw the blessing of the alter. The existing altar was moved to where the children's altar was and the children's altar was moved into the Sunday School area in the lower parish hall.


The Active Outreach committee hosted the National 129 Service of Remembrance for those who have been lost to the opioid crisis. The service was held on January 29th (1/29) in the afternoon; followed by a pot luck supper and fellowship. Shortly thereafter, the Friends of Emmett/Mercy Street addiction ministry was formed at Trinity. The service was well attended by parishioner’s, the community, and local politicians. Proclamations from the Governor of Massachusetts and Bridgewater Town Council were read noting this day of remembrance.

Trinity held a “furnace fundraiser” over the summer to replace the 30+ year old furnace with a new energy efficient model. Bishop Gayle Harris presided over a blessing of the furnace while it was broadcasted on Facebook using the Facebook Live video feature. 


 Through generous donations by parishioners, the stained glass “Good Shepherd” window above the altar was restored.

The Reverend Natasha Stewart was called to serve at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Scituate, MA. She completed her call by becoming 3rd longest serving rector in the 270+ year history of Trinity.